Thursday, August 14, 2008

Robert Frost Peach


Today I took a break from chores and enjoyed the first ripe peach from the orchard. I sat next to Darwin under the tree and tried to really taste each bite and enjoy the juice dripping down my chin. I then looked up that this very tree and started to count all the peaches that remained to be picked and noticed that some of them are very high up in the tree. I then looked around the whole orchard, all 71 trees, and started to realize that even though Summer's harvest is in full swing, this is the calm before the storm.
I used to read a lot of Robert Frost; Mending Wall is probably my favorite of his. He wrote a short poem about apples that I never paid much mind to, but now I am thinking about getting it tattooed across the back of my sunburned neck:

For I have had too much
Of apple-picking: I am overtired
Of the great harvest I myself desired.

Here are all the different varieties of fruit trees in the orchard:

Frost Peach

Italian Plum
Santa Rosa Plum
Brooks Plum
Beauty Plum

Pear:
Bosc
Chojuro
Nitaka
Ubileen
Bennett
Bartlet
Sirrine
Orcas
Concorde
Wenatchee Gold
Highland

Apples:
Striped Gravenstein
Red Gravenstein
Williams Pride
Chehalis
Glowing Coal
Blushing Golden
Melrose
Akane
Spartan
Buckley Giant
Boskoop
Sunrise
Stayman Winesap
Baldwin
Keepsake
Bleniem Orange
Honeycrisp
Hudson's Gem
Bramley's Seedling
Jonagold
Aroma
Spitzenburg
Sweet Sixteen
EasyGro
Cox Orange Pippen

No comments: